Undivided Life Newsletter
Volume 28 - September 18, 2023
Culture + Strategy = Impact
What if you started each new week saying, "Thank God it's Monday"?
For most people, this doesn't sound possible.
But you can begin building the future you want now with Undivided Life.
Leveraging our strategy and culture expertise, we equip and empower leaders to
create thriving organizations that promote human flourishing.
Company Culture Considerations
How Can Intentional Culture Building Improve Earnings?
When we hear that a company will start focusing on culture, most of us roll our eyes and think, “Here we go again.” This will be another round of meaningless cheerleading events without any real focus on how we communicate, build relationships, and ultimately get work done.
The issue isn’t that culture building is a waste of time but that few people are equipped to lead culture change within their organization. Rather than seek outside help to set a new course, they turn to creative icebreakers, monthly celebrations, and a few other nice gimmicks, but none of which drive home the needed change.
Every Leader is a Culture Leader.... read more
The Keeper Test for Managers
Almost 14 years ago, Netflix released their now famous "Culture Deck," a 125-page PowerPoint that provided the blueprint for their culture.
While there are many nuggets of wisdom throughout the document, one of our favorites is the "Keeper Test" for managers. The Keeper Test is a simple assessment that managers should make on a regular basis using this framework:
"Which of the people on my team,
if they told me they were leaving,
for a similar job and not for a complete career change,
would I fight hard to keep?"
I love that this test highlights that the person would be leaving for a similar job - - which means we should also recognize that sometimes people are ready for a life change and a new career. Far be it for us to prevent that type of personal move.
Have you ever performed a Keeper Test? There is no day better than today to get started.
Measure Employee Engagement
According to Gallup's Q12 Employee Engagement Survey, there are 12 needs that managers can meet to improve the productivity of each individual team member.
At Undivided Life, we utilize the 12 questions from this tool as part of our initial assessment of an organization's cultural health. How would you and your team rate on the following questions:
- How satisfied are you with your company as a place to work
- I know what is expected of me at work.
- I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
- At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
- In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
- My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
- There is someone at work who encourages my development.
- At work, my opinions seem to count.
- The mission or purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important.
- My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
- I have a best friend at work.
- In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
- This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.